Certified Prosthetist or CPO
- Saginaw, MI
- Mary Free Bed Orthotics and Prosthetics
- Full-Time - Days - Monday-Friday, 8a-5p
- Posted: November 11, 2019
We have the great privilege of helping patients and families re-build their lives. It’s extraordinarily meaningful work and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation. When patients “Ask for Mary,” they experience a culture that has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them. This is true of every employee, from support staff and leadership, to clinicians and care providers.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited rehabilitation hospital serving thousands of children and adults each year through inpatient, outpatient, sub-acute rehabilitation, orthotics and prosthetics and home and community programs. With the most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical outcomes. The growing Mary Free Bed Network provides patients throughout the state with access to our unique standard of care.
Restoring Hope and Freedom through Rehabilitation
Diversity and Inclusion:
Mary Free Bed values diversity and inclusion among patients, families and staff. We strive to hire people who reflect the communities we serve. Our employees will serve all patients, families and each other with dignity and respect.
A Certified Orthotist CO is a healthcare professional who is specifically educated and trained to manage comprehensive orthotic patient care. This includes patient assessment, formulation of a treatment plan, implementation of the treatment plan, follow-up and practice management.
A Certified Prosthetist (CPO) Orthotist Prosthetist is a healthcare professional who is specifically educated and trained to manage comprehensive orthotic and prosthetic patient care. This includes patient assessment, formulation of a treatment plan, implementation of the treatment plan, follow-up and practice management.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Provides direct patient care, treatment, and services within the scope of their license, certification or registration and as required by law and regulation, with a particular focus on prosthetic services.
- Provides clinical services including measurement, fit, fabrication, adjustment, and repair of Orthotic or Prosthetic devices; establishes standards for their design and fabrication in relation to the physician orders. Instructs patients in the use of orthoses or prostheses.
- Follows charting procedures and maintains records, and completes in a timely manner.
- Maintains treatment standards and protocols by meeting scheduling, patient satisfaction, and production standards.
- Ensures outcome data collection and data analysis is completed.
- Participates in case conferences with physicians, therapists and nurses to discuss and evaluate patient's condition, progress and plans for therapy.
- Meets mandatory continuing education requirements and maintains expertise in specific clinical area of focus.
- Develops and maintains relationships with local physicians and other potential referral sources in order to ensure outstanding patient service and to promote Mary Free Bed O & P services.
- Compliance with practice management plans to develop and document policies and procedures to ensure patient protection which includes, but is not limited to:
- Adherence to applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations
- Maintaining a safe and professional environment for patient care
- Adherence to ABC Code of Professional Responsibility.
Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements):
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in orthotics and prosthetics for a Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) accredited program OR a Bachelor’s degree or higher in any major along with a post-graduate orthotics and prosthetics certificate from a CAAHEP accredited program
- Certification by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics and Prosthetics (CPO), or Prosthetics (CP) or Board of Certification/Accreditation (BOC).
- Must have pediatric cranial experience.
- Ideal candidate has plagiocephaly experience.
- Physical Demands: The physical ability to lift, position, and transport patients; to frequently sit, stand, walk, bend, kneel, twist, crawl, grasp, reach, and occasionally climb; to hear, speak, write and see (correctable vision); to frequently lift up to 75 pounds, and occasionally lift in excess of 75 pounds; to occasionally push, pull, or carry weight anywhere from 1 to 100+ pounds while assisting patients and moving equipment; to exert up to 20-50 pounds of force occasionally, 10-20 pounds of force frequently, and exert up to 10 pounds of force constantly.
Mary Free Bed is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or other legally protected characteristic.