Physician - Outpatient Pain Center
- Grand Rapids, MI
- Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital
- Full-Time - Days - 8a-5p
- Posted: September 13, 2019
The Pain Rehabilitation Center at Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital has been achieving exceptional patient outcomes since the 1970s. Our program is multi-disciplinary, consisting of physicians, physician assistants, pain psychologists, physical therapists and occupational therapists. The program uses evidence based approaches to eliminate use of medications while teaching methods of relaxation techniques, exercise and other activity designed to manage and/or reduce their pain symptoms in order them to regain function and rejoin the life they wish to live.
The Mary Free Bed Medical Group (“Medical Group”) Pain Rehabilitation Physicians are responsible for providing non-interventional medical services specializing in pain management and rehabilitation to the patients of Mary Free Bed. The medical services provided are within the mission, vision and values of the parent corporation, the Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Provides professional medical services in the specialty of pain management to patients of the Mary Free Bed in the following areas as assigned:
- Outpatients at MFB
- Assigned clinics at MFB main campus
- Assigned clinics at off-campus locations
- Call coverage for Pain Center patients
- Participation in teaching medical students and residents
- Maintains medical records in a timely fashion and cooperates with billing, peer review and compliance programs
- Provides oversight for any mid-level providers assigned.
- Maintains staff privileges at MFB, including performance of duties required to maintain those privileges such as medical record completion, committee service, compliance, etc.
- Identifies and promotes opportunities for improvement of care and actively participates in MFB quality initiatives
- Monitors developments in Chronic and Cancer Pain treatment and promotes new programs that meet new program criteria including but not limited to musculoskeletal chronic pain, fibromyalgia, headache and Complex Regional Pain Syndrome.
- Provides medical leadership to treatment team treating assigned patients and promotes harmonious and effective team function
- Models professional behavior
- Promotes the financial viability of Mary Free Bed
- Actively participates in the activities of the Plan of Care
- Promotes the development and dissemination of new knowledge, preferably in peer reviewed journals.
Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements)
- MD or DO degree
- Board Certified in Family Practice, Internal Medicine or Pediatrics; if Board eligible, then certified within two years
- State of Michigan Medical License, unencumbered
- Unrestricted DEA license for controlled substances, schedules 2-5
- Unrestricted Michigan License for controlled substances, schedules 2-5
- Physical Demands: The physical ability to lift, position, and transport patients; the ability to frequently sit, stand, walk, bend, kneel, twist, crawl, grasp, reach, and occasionally climb; the ability to hear, speak, write, and see (correctable vision); the ability to frequently lift up to 75 pounds, and occasionally lift in excess of 75 pounds; the ability to occasionally push, pull, or carry weight anywhere from 1 to 100+ pounds while assisting patients and moving equipment; the ability to exert up to 20-50 pounds of force occasionally, 10-20 pounds of force frequently, and exert up to 10 pounds of force constantly.
Other Preferred Job Qualifications
- Experience in developing new treatment programs
- Experience with management of the rehabilitative problems of seriously ill individuals
- Published research in peer reviewed journals.