Supply Chain Internship - Winter 2020
- Grand Rapids, MI
- Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital
- Central Supply
- Part-Time - Days - 8am - 5pm
- Posted: September 13, 2019
We have the great privilege of helping patients and families re-build their lives. It’s extraordinarily meaningful work and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation. When patients “Ask for Mary,” they experience a culture that has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them. This is true of every employee, from support staff and leadership, to clinicians and care providers.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited rehabilitation hospital serving thousands of children and adults each year through inpatient, outpatient, sub-acute rehabilitation, orthotics and prosthetics and home and community programs. With the most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical outcomes. The growing Mary Free Bed Network provides patients throughout the state with access to our unique standard of care. Mary Free Bed stands apart from other organizations by the unique combination of:
Restoring hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Mary Free Bed values diversity and inclusion among patients, families and staff. We strive to hire people who reflect the communities we serve. Our employees will serve all patients, families and each other with dignity and respect.
Internship opportunity for college student to assist in the procurement process and supply chain management for clinical and non-clinical supplies. To act as an assistant to staff within MFB in a variety of roles, potentially including procurement manager, warehouse/inventory management, decision support analyst, and finance.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Computer expertise needed to provide line item entry into procurement or inventory software (Great Plains Purchasing module)
- Analyze and review prices, invoices and help set standards and best practices for clinician and technical staff product and services ordering.
- Correspondence and coordination with suppliers to include product details and to receive PO signatures and invoices in timely fashion.
- Create database of MFB supplies and relate these to preferred, secondary, and tertiary suppliers. Also to further create a database of therapy supplies for satellite facilities to align purchasing practices/prices
- Coordination with Purchasing and Inventory staff to assist with receiving, returns and inventory
- Develop labeling conventions for clean utility shelving, exchange carts, inventory shelves. Assist with mock-up of shelving for clean supplies and gather feedback from nursing.
- Build non-chargeable patient care items in Cerner for increased cost tracking of patient care supplies/inventory management.
- Organizational skills to help with warehouse, and inventory management under direction of manager.
Other Job Responsibilities:
Experience gained for intern includes: Specifications, procurement process, logistics, database creation.
Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements):
- Currently in college, preferably with interest/experience in supply chain management
- Physical Demands: Able to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (up to 1/3 of the time); able to lift, carry, push, pull, up to 10 pounds occasionally; able to sit for the majority of the time, but may involve brief periods of time involving walking or standing; able to use keyboard frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time)
20 hours per week for a 10-12 week period. Actual hours and duration of internship will be determined at the time of position being awarded.
This is an unpaid intern position. The reward will be the valuable experience gained in the areas of Supply Chain Management and Procurement.
Mary Free Bed is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or other legally protected characteristic.