Compensation & Benefits Manager
- Grand Rapids, MI
- Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital
- HR - Comp and Benefits
- Full-Time - Days - M-F, 8:00-5:00PM
- Posted: February 6, 2020
We have the great privilege of helping patients and families re-build their lives. It’s extraordinarily meaningful work and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation. When patients “Ask for Mary,” they experience a culture that has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them. This is true of every employee, from support staff and leadership, to clinicians and care providers.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited rehabilitation hospital serving thousands of children and adults each year through inpatient, outpatient, sub-acute rehabilitation, orthotics and prosthetics and home and community programs. With the most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical outcomes. The growing Mary Free Bed Network provides patients throughout the state with access to our unique standard of care.
Restoring hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Mary Free Bed values diversity and inclusion among patients, families and staff. We strive to hire people who reflect the communities we serve. Our employees will serve all patients, families and each other with dignity and respect.
The Total Rewards Manager will manage employee compensation programs including job evaluation, internal equity and external market analysis, merit review cycles, and performance incentive plans. Will lead staff and systems required to achieve goals; manage the organization’s compensation philosophy and strategies; and help ensure that compensation programs, policies and practices enhance our ability to attract, retain, motivate and engage employees, and contribute to the achievement of organizational goals. As a subject matter expert, the Manager will counsel leadership on job descriptions, career ladders, goal-setting, and develop and recommend programs to reward employee performance as well as benefits administration and communication. Partners with Payroll to ensure accurate application of pay.
The Total Rewards Manager will also provide leadership for benefits program design and management that support our people and financial goals. The Manager will be accountable for improving total rewards management processes and will partner with others to improve management reporting, employee communications, and HRIS utilization.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Serves as a compensation and benefits project leader – assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating compensation projects that align with the culture, values and compensation philosophy of Mary Free Bed and assists management in compensating employees equitably. Monitors and makes recommendations to leadership to keep programs contemporary and competitive, and drive implementation of approved changes.
- Participate and complete HR related surveys for compensation and benefits. Researches special programs, incentive systems, or benefit options to support the organization’s objectives.
- Creates, updates and manages job descriptions, performs position analysis, and ensures the proper internal salary grade placements for new and revised positions based on levels of responsibility and market data. Maintains and updates documents and accessibility on Inside MFB. Reviews and analyzes compensation data in the HRIS system to identify and work with HR team/leadership to resolve issues.
- Implement, adjust, maintain, and enhance MFB compensation programs as needed. Prepares wage and salary re-evaluation and internal equity verification.
- Coordinates the annual merit and market adjustment process including communication and timeline, system administration, education and training, reporting, and follow-up.
- Functions as an internal compensation consultant, analyzing and interpreting data gathered from various sources to support projects, compliance, and management inquiries. Educates staff and management on key compensation issues, ensuring consistency with trends in compensation philosophy and practices, makes recommendations based on industry and company knowledge.
- Collaborate with recruitment and management to understand and manage market issues with respect to hiring and retaining employees.
- Collaborates on the preparation and distribution of Total Compensation statements, Executive Compensation summaries, Form 990 compilations, Employee Change Form (ECF) oversight, and HRIS/compensation tools administration. This includes linking compensation to performance scores, High-Solid-Low scores, and disciplinary action logs.
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory agency standards and guidelines regarding compensation and benefits including any related to the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Affirmative Action (AA), Department of Labor (DOL), FLSA, IRS, ADA, ADEA, COBRA, EEOC, ERISA, FMLA, MPMLA, ACA, HIPAA, OSHA, etc. Facilitates timely completion of annual filings, 5500s, plan audits and other reporting and notification requirements.
- Prepare, create, and analyze reports/metrics that are necessary to carry out the functions of the department and company. Prepares periodic reports for management, as necessary.
- Provide specific direction to Benefits team and partner with Payroll in the performance of overall work. Provide general direction and routinely delegate work to Human Resources staff and interns.
- Research and respond to complex questions from employees and leaders regarding interpretations of benefit plans, including eligibility, covered services, and exclusions.
- Collaborate with stakeholders (i.e.: Broker, TPA, C2 Health, Leadership) to evaluate options for benefit coverage with consideration for cost, quality of service and competitive benefit levels. Facilitate renewal recommendations. Maintain relationship with external parties including attorneys, agents, vendors and auditors to support benefit, compensation and HRIS functions. Coordinate the benefit contract process with benefit plan providers, vendors, auditors, and consultants for services, premiums, and plan administration.
- Oversee the administration of welfare and ancillary benefit plans, including health, life, AD&D, disability, Section 125 and tuition reimbursement plans, ensuring timely and accurate recordkeeping and benefit payments. Coordinate benefits among multiple programs.
- Administer MFB’s retirement plans in conjunction with outside parties. Facilitate Investment Committee meetings. Maintain 403b eligibility records and calculate contributions.
- Manage workers’ compensation claim administration, coordination of restricted work assignments and OSHA recordkeeping. Administer Worker’s Compensation program, Ergonomic Evaluations, and lead safety initiatives including the safety committee.
- Oversight of employee leaves of absence, ensuring compliance with the FMLA. Oversight of leave related programs including workers compensation, FMLA and STD. Monitor the use of programs to ensure compliance and consistency throughout MFB.
- Automate and oversee planning and implementing open enrollment activities for medical, dental and vision insurance, flexible spending and HSA benefits. Provide in-depth analysis of plan design changes, enrollment impact and cost impact to the organization. Oversee Wellness Fairs, Open Enrollment and other events as needed.
- Assist with develop and maintenance of annual budgets for Benefits and monitor expenses within those budgets.
- Steer the organization’s culture through effective communications, employee engagement, change management, and teamwork initiatives throughout the MFB system. Work with leadership, provide education and training, as well as be instrumental in our Employee Opinion Survey process, outcomes, and building awareness. Oversees the development of informative materials from vendors, ensures availability of adequate materials and develops appropriate company materials in-house.
- Leadership Must-Haves will be followed for patient and staff interactions:
- Thank You Notes
- Employee Selection/Peer Interviewing
- Key Words at Key Times
- AIDET® + Promise
- Standards of Behavior
Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements)
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management or related field, 5 years of experience as a Compensation and Benefits Analyst, with at least 3 years of specialized comp experience.
- Experience implementing new programs and managing change. Skill in judgement and decision making to consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one. Able to make quality independent decisions.
- Technical expertise in plan designs, market analysis, pricing, planning and alternative designs, market analysis, and rewards or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Communication – active listening, critical thinking, speaking clearly to others to convey information accurately, communicating effectively in writing as appropriate to the needs of the audience, oral and written comprehension and expression.
- Knowledge of employment practices and laws and their applicable changes; knowledge of industry trends
- PayFactors experience a plus
- Strong Microsoft office skills and experience with HRIS systems
- Excellent organizational, time management and decision-making skills
- Patient, pleasant, and understanding, with the ability to remain calm and diffuse tense situations. Handle sensitive and highly personal information on a daily basis, maintain confidentiality in a mature and non-judgmental manner.
- Ability to successfully monitor the “pulse” of employees to ensure a high level of employee engagement.
- Physical Demands: Able to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (up to 1/3 of the time); to lift, carry, push, pull, up to 10 pounds occasionally; to sit for the majority of the time, but may involve brief periods of time involving walking or standing; to use keyboard frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time).
Mary Free Bed is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or other legally protected characteristic.