Human Resources Internship
- Grand Rapids, MI
- Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital
- HR - Employment
- Intern - Days - M-F, 8:00AM-5:00PM
- Posted: November 5, 2019
We have the great privilege of helping patients and families re-build their lives. It’s extraordinarily meaningful work and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation. When patients “Ask for Mary,” they experience a culture that has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them. This is true of every employee, from support staff and leadership, to clinicians and care providers.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited rehabilitation hospital serving thousands of children and adults each year through inpatient, outpatient, sub-acute rehabilitation, orthotics and prosthetics and home and community programs. With the most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical outcomes. The growing Mary Free Bed Network provides patients throughout the state with access to our unique standard of care.
Restoring hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
Mary Free Bed values diversity and inclusion among patients, families and staff. We strive to hire people who reflect the communities we serve. Our employees will serve all patients, families and each other with dignity and respect.
Provides support and assist the Human Resources Department with a wide range daily tasks and projects related to Human Resources compliance, recruiting, employee benefits, and administrative responsibilities. This internship is designed to provide exposure to a variety of Human Resources initiatives that will help the intern obtain gainful knowledge and experience.
Essential Intern Responsibilities: The Human Resources internship will be tailored to match the intern’s skills and help in developing new skills in the Human Resources field. A sampling of job assignments and projects are listed below:
Recruiting and Staffing
- Conduct orientation
- Help design, interpret, and perform job analysis questionnaires
- Participate in job interviews
- Post and process internal and external job opportunities
- Screen job applications/resumes
- Write and update job descriptions
Compensation and Benefits
- Conduct benefit enrollment and analysis
- Educate employees on benefit choices
- Special reporting, comparison and benchmarking projects
- Exit Interview / analysis
- Front Desk coverage
- Organize Employee Files
- Provide support and coordination of employee activities (i.e. awards banquet, monthly luncheons, etc.)
- Recordkeeping including current and former employee recordkeeping, medical files, background check files.
- Review I-9 files, criminal and background checks, reference forms and do proper close out for terminated employees
- Scholarship Administration
Essential Intern Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements):
- Must be currently enrolled in a college/university, seeking an undergraduate degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or a related field.
- Handle sensitive and highly personal information on a daily basis, maintain confidentiality and discretion in a mature and non-judgmental manner.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Proven ability to create graphs, forms and databases and summarize results.
- Internet and web experience including social networking experience.
- Competent language, spelling, and grammar skills with the ability to proof business documents.
- The ability to demonstrate initiative and responsibility, perform multiple tasks, attend to detail, meet deadlines, adapt quickly to changes, and respond well to feedback.
- Good interpersonal and telephone skills.
- Physical Demands:
- Able to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (up to 1/3 of the time)
- Able to lift, carry, push, pull, up to 10 pounds occasionally
- Able to sit for the majority of the time, but may involve brief periods of time involving walking or standing.
- Able to use keyboard frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time).
Academic Requirements and Work Schedule
This is an unpaid intern position. The reward will be the valuable experience gained in the areas of Human Resources. This internship can be considered as a non-credit/volunteer or for-credit experience.
- Commit to a minimum of 10/hour per week for a semester.
- A completion and recommendation letter will be awarded at the end of the internship.
- Intern is responsible for submitting all required documentation for approval to the university prior to start.
- Must complete at least 150 hours per semester (or a minimum of 10 hours/week for a 15-week term).
Mary Free Bed is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or other legally protected characteristic.