Clinical Liaison at Beacon Health
- Elkhart, IN
- Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital
- Full-Time - Days - 8a-5p
- Posted: November 14, 2019
We have the great privilege of helping patients and families re-build their lives. It’s extraordinarily meaningful work and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation. When patients “Ask for Mary,” they experience a culture that has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them. This is true of every employee, from support staff and leadership, to clinicians and care providers.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited rehabilitation hospital serving thousands of children and adults each year through inpatient, outpatient, sub-acute rehabilitation, orthotics and prosthetics and home and community programs. With the most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical outcomes. The growing Mary Free Bed Network provides patients throughout the state with access to our unique standard of care.
Restoring hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Mary Free Bed values diversity and inclusion among patients, families and staff. We strive to hire people who reflect the communities we serve. Our employees will serve all patients, families and each other with dignity and respect.
The Mary Free Bed Clinical Liaison works in coordination with the admissions team including the appropriate physicians to: coordinate efforts within the admissions office to ensure timely response to acute care hospital referrals, screen patients for appropriateness of admission to inpatient rehabilitation, communicate with the admitting and consulting physicians, effectively speak with patients and family members throughout the evaluation process, as appropriate, facilitate admissions to Mary Free Bed including required pre-authorization and pre-admission documentation, work with all MFB network partners toward the goal of problem solving and facilitating referrals to the appropriate level of rehabilitation.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Analyzes referral patterns of physicians and prioritizes time appropriately to increase business.
- Works with Mary Free Bed marketing department to determine needs of patients and referral sources to capitalize on education opportunities through new collateral materials and presentations.
- Develops relationships with current and potential referral sources including insurance case managers and payer sources through education of services offered at Mary Free Bed.
- With collaboration from Mary Free Bed Access Team, develops strategic initiatives for market penetration into trauma centers in assigned territory.
- Follows catastrophic cases throughout the assigned territory by rounding on appropriate call points with goal of incremental referral development.
- As a member of the Access team, coordinates meetings and calls on key referring physicians to drive census growth.
- Targets and builds relationships with catastrophic case managers.
- Provides reporting trends and activity to Access Leadership Team.
- For those referrals that are appropriate for admission to Mary Free Bed and the Mary Free Bed Network: In collaboration with the acute care hospital staff, collects appropriate patient information and completes the Mary Free Bed documentation that is required for admission. Provides patient and family education related to inpatient rehabilitation. Collaborates with the referring hospital staff, inpatient staff and admitting physician to determine an admission plan, and to set a date and time that is appropriate for the patient and meets the needs of the referring hospital.
- Completes the pre-admission screen when appropriate and assures that appropriate physician review is completed prior to admission.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with all referrals sources. Facilitates professional communication with each employee of the referring hospital.
- Encourages, coaches, and monitors teamwork and direct communication with co-workers.
- Monitors customer satisfaction and facilitates problem solving with the admitting physicians, patients and families, and referral sources. Encourages a culture of personal accountability, solution-seeking behavior, mutual respect, open communication, openness to change, enthusiasm, and pride.
- Maintains a high level of current knowledge about each referral hospital and the associated patient populations.
- Develops and maintains excellent working relationship with Network Partners and their admissions team.
- Maintains appropriate credentialing certification at all required facilities.
- Works with Admissions secretaries to ensure efficient processing of information.
Other Job Responsibilities:
- Maintains a high level of current knowledge about each referral source and the associated patient populations.
Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements):
- Licensed Registered Nurse with a current State of Indiana license preferably with Certified Rehabilitation Registered Nurse (CRRN) Certification with 2 years of practice required
- Valid driver’s license with no restrictions.
- Physical Demands: Able to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (up to 1/3 of the time); to lift, carry, push, pull, up to 10 pounds occasionally; to sit for the majority of the time, but may involve brief periods of time involving walking or standing; to use keyboard frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time)
Other Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Experience as a liaison or working autonomously.
- Experience in post-acute care.
- Able to respond to highly variable workload demands.