Human Resources Generalist
This job posting is no longer active.
- Grand Rapids, MI
- Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital
- HR - Comp and Benefits
- Full-Time - Days - M-F 8:00A-5:00P
- Posted: February 11, 2020
We have the great privilege of helping patients and families re-build their lives. It’s extraordinarily meaningful work and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation. When patients “Ask for Mary,” they experience a culture that has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them. This is true of every employee, from support staff and leadership, to clinicians and care providers.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited rehabilitation hospital serving thousands of children and adults each year through inpatient, outpatient, sub-acute rehabilitation, orthotics and prosthetics and home and community programs. With the most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical outcomes. The growing Mary Free Bed Network provides patients throughout the state with access to our unique standard of care.
Restoring hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Mary Free Bed values diversity and inclusion among patients, families and staff. We strive to hire people who reflect the communities we serve. Our employees will serve all patients, families and each other with dignity and respect.
Oversee and coordinate various Human Resources functions and provide support to all areas of the department and organization, including employee relations, performance management, compensation, training and development.
The Human Resource Generalist is responsible for management of HR projects, ensuring compliance and reporting of governmental and labor reporting requirements and general HR duties. This includes administering employment policies and practices, develop and maintaining job descriptions and providing support in specialized HR functions as needed.
• Focus on Patient Care. A selfless drive to serve and heal connects all MFB employees.
• Clinical Variety and Challenge. An inter-disciplinary approach and a top team of professionals create ever-changing opportunities and activities.
• Family Culture. We offer the stability of a large organization while nurturing the family/team atmosphere of a small organization.
• Trust in Each Other. Each employee knows that his/her co-workers can be trusted to make the right decision for our family, patients, staff and community.
• A Proud Tradition. Years of dedicated, quality service to our patients and community have yielded a reputation that fills our employees with pride.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Responsible for General HR administrative duties, prepare, create, and analyze reports/metrics that are necessary to carry out the functions of the department and company. Prepares periodic reports for management, as necessary or requested.
- Manage projects and requests as assigned, including rolling out organization-wide initiatives and conducting training on HR topics.
- Assist with compliance and reporting of governmental and labor reporting requirements including any related to the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Affirmative Action (AA), Department of Labor (DOL).
- Identifying standards for evaluating performance management for employees and leaders across the organization. Including evaluating performance measures, desired outcomes, and standards of behavior. Assist leadership with performance development or improvement plans to handle any performance gap, if an employee does not meet the required performance level.
- Participate and complete HR related surveys for compensation, benefits, diversity, turnover, and other surveys as required.
- Collaborate with HR leadership to execute, standardize and continuously improve HR processes and procedures.
- Collects and analyzes internal and external information in order to compare the organizations HR practices to those prevailing in the market.
- Update and maintain job descriptions and organizational charts, as appropriate.
- Assist with general employee relations as needed. Designated back up for Employee Relations Specialist when unavailable to ensure there is not discontinuity in providing guidance and recommendation to leadership.
- Steer the organization’s culture through effective communications, employee engagement, change management, and teamwork initiatives throughout the MFB system. Work with leadership, provide education and training, as well as assist with Employee Opinion Survey process, outcomes, and building awareness. Conveys passion and rallies team members when challenged. Keep focused and on track and resolve issues that may jeopardize team success. Prompts others to contribute knowledge and information to assist the team.
- Manages the use of HR metrics as key performance indicators for Human resources and Mary Free Bed. Review and update the HR dashboard to ensure the date is up to date and current, and the data being tracked is pertinent to the strategic plan of MFB. Key indicators shall include but not be limited to headcount, turnover, employee engagement, diversity in the workforce, safety, and customer service.
- Provide assistance in all areas of Human Resources and may provide backup assistance for specialized functions.
Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements)
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or 3-5 years of experience in an HR concentration such as an HR Generalist, employee relations, labor relations, or comparable background.
- Strong Microsoft office skills and experience with HRIS systems
- Knowledge of employment law, with excellent organizational, time management and decision-making skills
- Patient, pleasant, and understanding, with the ability to remain calm and diffuse tense situations. Handle sensitive and highly personal information on a daily basis, maintain confidentiality in a mature and non-judgmental manner.
- Ability to successfully monitor the “pulse” of employees to ensure a high level of employee engagement.
- Physical Demands: Able to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (up to 1/3 of the time); to lift, carry, push, pull, up to 10 pounds occasionally; to sit for the majority of the time, but may involve brief periods of time involving walking or standing; to use keyboard frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time).
Mary Free Bed is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or other legally protected characteristic.