Monitor Tech - Inpatient Nursing
- Grand Rapids, MI
- Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital
- Nursing Admin
- Part-Time - Night - 11p - 7a
- Technicians/Patient Support
- Posted: November 26, 2019
We have the great privilege of helping patients and families re-build their lives. It’s extraordinarily meaningful work and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation. When patients “Ask for Mary,” they experience a culture that has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them. This is true of every employee, from support staff and leadership, to clinicians and care providers.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited rehabilitation hospital serving thousands of children and adults each year through inpatient, outpatient, sub-acute rehabilitation, orthotics and prosthetics and home and community programs. With the most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical outcomes. The growing Mary Free Bed Network provides patients throughout the state with access to our unique standard of care.
Restoring hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Mary Free Bed values diversity and inclusion among patients, families and staff. We strive to hire people who reflect the communities we serve. Our employees will serve all patients, families and each other with dignity and respect.
Provides continuous observation and surveillance of assigned patients. First line of action is to verbally redirect the patient from engaging in at risk behaviors. Summons the nursing staff if the patient requires assistance. Knowledgeable and supportive of patient and institutional confidentiality and related hospital policies.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Demonstrates understanding and proficiency of the use of the AvaSys TeleSitter Solution software.
- Maintains visual observation at all times. Verbally redirects patient over digital 2-way audio device that is in patient room. Immediately summons the nursing staff if the patient requires assistance.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skill necessary to support the appropriate care to this patient population based on the patients individualized treatment plan as delegated by the RN.
- Participates in hand-off of pertinent information/behavior about assigned patients when arriving on unit and upon completion of shift assignment. Arranges meal break times with nurse and informs nurse prior to leaving monitoring station for any reason so that relief may be provided to ensure constant patient observation.
- Provides patient with explanations as necessary, but does not counsel or provide opinions. Demonstrates behaviors in line with Service Excellence.
- Seeks help or advice as soon as possible when patient appears to pose a threat to themselves or others. Participates in a collaborative identification and reporting of patient safety issues. Assures patient environment safety. Seeks assistance with removal of any potential safety hazard from room and reports findings to Charge Nurse or Clinical Care Coordinator.
- Demonstrates safe work practices and attitudes, follows safety rules, works to prevent unsafe conditions and behaviors, and participates in organizational and department safety programs.
Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements)
- High school graduate of G.E.D. with general knowledge of the hospital setting
- Completion of Hospital Orientation
- Previous experience in a hospital environment required
- Previous Clinical experience preferred
- Previous Direct Patient Care experience preferred
- Capable of continuous monitoring of up to 15 patients on one screen at one time and remaining alert at all times while on duty.
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients using a microphone and headset
- Ability to communicate with hospital staff and respond quickly to patient behavioral changes.
- Ability to use discretion and courtesy when working with patients, visitors, and staff
- Basic computer operation skills
- Basic Microsoft windows experience
- Efficiency in multitasking
- Ability to prioritize simultaneous situations
Mary Free Bed is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or other legally protected characteristic.