Program Director - Beacon Health Inpatient Rehab
This job posting is no longer active.
- Elkhart, IN
- Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital
- Full-Time - Days - 8a-5p
- Posted: December 4, 2019
We have the great privilege of helping patients and families re-build their lives. It’s extraordinarily meaningful work and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation. When patients “Ask for Mary,” they experience a culture that has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them. This is true of every employee, from support staff and leadership, to clinicians and care providers.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited rehabilitation hospital serving thousands of children and adults each year through inpatient, outpatient, sub-acute rehabilitation, orthotics and prosthetics and home and community programs. With the most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical outcomes. The growing Mary Free Bed Network provides patients throughout the state with access to our unique standard of care.
Restoring hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
The Program Director is responsible for all aspects of patient care for the two Inpatient Rehabilitation Units at Beacon Health.
The Program Director is expected to achieve and maintain an effective and harmonious multidisciplinary team of professionals through collaboration, leadership, and management. The director participates in leadership activities within Mary Free Bed Hospital and Beacon Health and follows the components of the relationship as outlined in the Professional Services Agreement.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Program Leadership – Manages all inpatient activities of the Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit for Beacon Health, to promote excellent clinical quality, strong patient satisfaction, and high value.
- Develops standards of care for all patients served, in accordance with policies and procedures of Beacon Health and Mary Free Bed.
- Manages the day to day staffing of the both nursing staff of the inpatient rehabilitation units at Elkhart General in Elkhart, IN and Memorial in South Bend, IN.
- Maintains accreditation and compliance with all appropriate entities including the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) and Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program (HFAP) or The Joint Commission (TJC).
- Maintains knowledge of developments in the rehabilitation industry.
- Manages program in compliance with all safety standards.
- Physician Relations – Maintains effective working relationships with the inpatient rehabilitation medical director(s) and other physicians that provide care to the patients served.
- Fiscal Responsibility – Manages department budgets, and monitors and assures achievement of productivity targets by staff.
- Staff Selection, Orientation, and Feedback – Manages the selection, hiring, orientation and training of new staff. Provides regular feedback regarding performance to new and existing employees. Develops performance goals and appropriate methods of measuring progress. Conducts performance evaluations in accordance with timelines established by Mary Free Bed (for MFB employees, if applicable) and Beacon Health (for Beacon Health employees, if applicable).
- Positions that directly report to this leader:
- Nurse Manager
- PPS Coordinator
- Administrative Assistant
- Others, as determined
- Positions with an indirect reporting relationship to this leader (these employees report directly to an individual that reports to the Director):
- Registered Nurse
- Patient Care Assistant / Nursing Assistant
- Health Unit Clerk / Unit Secretary
- Case Manager / Discharge Planner
- Others, as determined
- Staff Development and Mentoring – Provides program leadership related to ongoing staff development and mentoring of department employees. Encourages staff development through formal and informal learning opportunities, using competency-based education programs.
- Program Evaluation - Develops a program evaluation process that provides timely reporting of key clinical quality, customer service, growth, people and financial indicators.
- Quality Improvement and Clinical Outcomes - Provides leadership related to performance improvement activities for the inpatient rehabilitation program, to achieve quality results and clinical outcomes that meet or exceed comparative benchmarks. Shares best practices with peers within the MFB Network and the industry, and incorporates lessons learned from the same.
- Professional Work Environment - Encourages a culture of personal accountability, solution-seeking behavior, mutual respect, open communication, openness to change, enthusiasm, and pride.
- Interdepartmental and Interdisciplinary Collaboration - Promotes collaboration of all disciplines within the inpatient rehabilitation unit, and with other departments and institutions. Maintains a close working relationship with the case management team and acute care therapy teams from Beacon Health and other acute care hospitals. Works to effectively integrate all members of the patient care team to provide outstanding rehabilitation services.
- Program Development and Marketing - Provides program leadership related to the development of policies, procedures, and protocols for clinical issues and program development. Provides leadership for development of marketing activities. Maintains responsibility for all aspects of the admission process for the inpatient rehabilitation unit, including the admission criteria. Collaborates with the MFB Network Manager of Business Development to provide input into and feedback related to the work of the admission liaisons, and process flows related to referral response and inpatient rehabilitation admissions.
- Regulatory and PPS Compliance: Maintains responsibility for the Prospective Payment System/IRF-PAI system, including record collection and timely transmittal. Assures processes are in place to comply with regulatory and documentation requirements of CMS and other payers. Implements processes to accurately capture QRP documentation, comorbidities, and other applicable aspects of documentation to assure compliance and revenue maximization. Works collaboratively with the Manager of Regulatory and PPS Compliance for the MFB Network, as well as the HIM/Coding team from Beacon Health and Mary Free Bed, when applicable.
- Additional Leadership Responsibilities – As determined by the MFB Vice President of Network Operations, with guidance from the leadership teams from Mary Free Bed and Beacon Health that serve on the Beacon Health Inpatient Rehabilitation Advisory Board.
- Leadership “Must-Haves” - These best practices will be followed for patient and staff interactions:
- Thank You Notes
- Employee Selection/Peer Interviewing
- Key Words at Key Times
- AIDET® + Promise
- Standards of Behavior
Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements):
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Nursing required.
- Indiana RN licensure.
- Experience: A minimum of three years of relevant leadership experience and direct supervision of clinical staff. Rehabilitation nursing experience preferred.
- Accurate decision-making and strong leadership skills
- Information management skills and ability to interpret, communicate, and present data. Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in conjunction with a team of professionals for problem solving.
- Sense of urgency, collaborative team style, and ability to quickly adapt to changes in priorities.
- Ability to multi-task and delegate tasks for timely project completion.
- Demonstrated commitment to organizational mission with a “whatever it takes” attitude to get the job done.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Physical Demands:
- Able to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (up to 1/3 of the time);
- To lift, carry, push, pull, up to 10 pounds occasionally;
- To sit for the majority of the time, but may involve brief periods of time involving walking or standing;
- To use keyboard frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time)