- Grand Rapids, MI
- Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital
- Nutrition Services
- Part-Time - Evening - Weekday 3-8p, Weekend (1st or 2nd shift depending)
- Technicians/Patient Support
- Posted: November 27, 2019
We have the great privilege of helping patients and families re-build their lives. It’s extraordinarily meaningful work and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation. When patients “Ask for Mary,” they experience a culture that has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them. This is true of every employee, from support staff and leadership, to clinicians and care providers.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited rehabilitation hospital serving thousands of children and adults each year through inpatient, outpatient, sub-acute rehabilitation, orthotics and prosthetics and home and community programs. With the most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical outcomes. The growing Mary Free Bed Network provides patients throughout the state with access to our unique standard of care.
Restoring hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Mary Free Bed values diversity and inclusion among patients, families and staff. We strive to hire people who reflect the communities we serve. Our employees will serve all patients, families and each other with dignity and respect.
Provides supportive assistance to the Registered Dietitian by performing patient oriented activities as it relates to Nutrition Services. Some duties include but are not limited to: distributing patient menus, delivery and pick up of patient meal trays, maintaining adequate inventory of unit pantry stock, collects patient meal preferences within diet restrictions, and suggests healthy alternatives as needed, encourages adequate and balanced daily nutrition.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Performs menu and food distribution responsibilities:
- Heads and distributes patient menus and nourishment cards.
- Delivers/picks up meal trays and nourishments to patient rooms.
- Maintains adequate inventory of dietary nourishments and supplies for patients on the nursing units.
- Collects patient meal preferences within diet restrictions. Makes suggestions for healthy alternatives as needed. Encourages adequate and balanced daily nutrition.
- Performs clinical responsibilities including:
- Calculates calorie counts for assigned patients.
- Adjusts diet orders for dysphasia patients based on Speech Language Pathologist’s requests.
- Assists patients in remaining within their diet restrictions ie: consistent carbohydrate, calorie, renal, cardiac diets.
- Treats all patients, families, employees, and visitors with respect, dignity, and courtesy and immediately addresses customer concerns appropriately.
- Documents orders, maintains patient records, and facilitates patient floor operations, and other office operations as necessary.
- Follows exposure/infection control, safety and equipment management, hazard, and quality improvement/risk management plans.
Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements):
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of basic math, medical terminology, and medical nutrition.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and customer service skills; ability to interact with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic computer operations.
- Physical Demands: Able to exert up to 35 pounds of force occasionally (up to 1/3 of the time); able to lift, carry, push, pull, up to 35 pounds occasionally; able to stand for the majority (1/3 – 2/3) of the time, but may involve brief periods of time involving walking or standing; able to use keyboard frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time)
Manager of Nutrition Services
Mary Free Bed is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or other legally protected characteristic.