Department Secretary - c2health
- Grand Rapids, MI
- Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital
- Employer Direct
- Full-Time - Days - 8a-5p
- Posted: February 11, 2020
We have the great privilege of helping patients and families re-build their lives. It’s extraordinarily meaningful work and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation. When patients “Ask for Mary,” they experience a culture that has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited, rehabilitation hospital with 167 inpatient beds – 119 acute and 48 sub-acute. There are numerous outpatient programs as well as home and community services. With the most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical outcomes.
Restoring hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
Diversity and Inclusion
Mary Free Bed values diversity and inclusion among patients, families and staff. We strive to hire people who reflect the communities we serve. Our employees will serve all patients, families and each other with dignity and respect.
The role of the Department Secretary (DS) is the first point of contact for all member interactions, both in person, over the phone, and via email. The DS provides exceptional customer service to everyone by exuding warmth, genuine care, and taking pride and joy in this role. The DS also provides support to the Navigation Teams related to scheduling, paperwork processing, and other tasks as assigned. Correspondence, QI surveys, filing, computer tasks, data entry and maintenance are also important parts of this role. The DS helps coordinate interdepartmental projects.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Pleasantly greets, provides information, and responds to the needs of members in person, via email and telephone. Maintains a pleasant, friendly and professional demeanor with all members and co-workers to create a favorable first and lasting impression. Handles all interactions with professionalism, creating an atmosphere of warmth, personal interest and positive emphasis.
- Receives and properly processes telephone calls, including answering questions, taking messages, and/or transferring calls as appropriate, according to confidentiality, customer service and other requirements. Makes business phone calls as necessary.
- Schedules appointments for department staff. Manages entire scheduling process for navigation teams and members including: scheduling, canceling as needed, rescheduling, reminding.
- Maintains departmental records and filing systems on a timely basis. Maintains and orders office supplies and certain departmental supplies and equipment as requested. Places requests for work orders on office equipment.
- Protects all member confidentiality according to HIPAA requirements.
- Opens, collects and distributes mail. Handles typing, network and data entry as necessary and assigned.
- Records and distributes minutes of meetings. Maintains Policies and Procedures Manual and updates as necessary.
- Regularly communicates with groups of members via email and other means—reminders, newsletters, etc.
- Completes departmental copying, scanning, and document preparation.
Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements):
- High school education or equivalent.
- Typing, filing, telephone, database, spreadsheet and word processing skills.
- Two years medical office or health care experience ideal, including knowledge of medical terminology
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and Outlook and ability to learn new software
- Outstanding organizational and interpersonal skills are required as well as good telephone etiquette.
- Medical transcription and proof reading documents may be required.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Must be able to apply reasoning and understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
Other Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Previous health care experience.
- Typing speed of 60 wpm.
- Spanish language proficiency or higher is ideal