Chief Data & Informatics Officer
This job posting is no longer active.
- Grand Rapids, MI
- Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital
- Executive Administration
- Full-Time - Days - 8a-5p
- Posted: February 10, 2020
We have the great privilege of helping patients and families re-build their lives. It’s extraordinarily meaningful work and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation. When patients “Ask for Mary,” they experience a culture that has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them. This is true of every employee, from support staff and leadership, to clinicians and care providers.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited rehabilitation hospital serving thousands of children and adults each year through inpatient, outpatient, sub-acute rehabilitation, orthotics and prosthetics and home and community programs. With the most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical outcomes. The growing Mary Free Bed Network provides patients throughout the state with access to our unique standard of care.
Restoring hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
Diversity and Inclusion
Mary Free Bed values diversity and inclusion among patients, families and staff. We strive to hire people who reflect the communities we serve. Our employees will serve all patients, families and each other with dignity and respect.
Within the context of a Learning Health System and integrated health care delivery system, the CDIO will lead the enterprise’s Information Systems and Research & Innovation teams to support the overall value proposition of the enterprise. The CDIO will oversee all aspects of data collection, management and analysis from our system to support the re-engineering of our clinical and support processes to drive value. The CDIO will be responsible for creating an innovative and integrated systems approach to value resulting in superior outcomes, exceptional patient satisfaction & engagement, efficient clinical practices and an overall reduction in the cost of care.
Responsible for leadership of the organization’s technology voice and data infrastructure, application development, business intelligence & decision support, operations, strategy and enterprise security. Excellent ability to conceptualize and develop innovative long-term business goals and develop an orderly process of planning the information technology needed to accomplish those goals. Advises leadership in developing processes, policies, and procedures that benefit the long-term financial position and business needs of the organization. Contributes to strategic planning, direction, business & data needs, and goal setting for the organization, research, department(s) and/or functions within the organization. Collaborates with strategic IT partners to deliver innovative solutions. Supervision is provided through a team of subordinate directors and/or managers whom collectively oversee other personnel.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Serves as Business Intelligence Leader for the Mary Free Bed System:
- Establishes priorities for the business intelligence team to serve strategic and operational objectives of the organization.
- Maintains knowledge of the financial direction of the industry and leverages BI resources to be competitive in healthcare environment.
- Creates teams, processes, and education that allows the organization to be data driven.
- Provides financial skillset in association with organizational research initiatives.
- Leads integration of network data for reporting and research initiatives.
- Leads innovative approaches to maximize the value of MFB’s data assets; develops and implements methods and tools such as predictive algorithms and machine learning to drive innovation in terms of care delivery, process improvement and quality improvement.
- Leads the development of a data-centered Learning Health System.
- Serves as the Chief Data & Informatics Officer (CDIO) of the Mary Free Bed System:
- Serves as a member of the senior management team in establishing governance processes of direction and control to ensure that objectives are achieved, risks are managed appropriately, and the systems resources are used responsibly.
- Ensures the security of the information systems, telecommunication functions, and equipment.
- Advises the Mary Free Bed System on technology solutions that support the mission, vision, values, and strategic plan for the system.
- Evaluates new technologies, processes, and methods to ensure alignment with best practices in technology infrastructure, information security, and system operations.
- Periodically reviews and aligns technology strategy with business leaders.
- Develops strategic plans and implements the objectives relating to the information technology needs of the company to ensure the capabilities are responsive to the needs of the company's growth and objectives.
- Develops and regularly reviews policies and procedures for the department.
- Evaluates overall operations of information technology functions and recommends enhancements.
- Plans, evaluates, and recommends the purchase, replacement and upgrade of hardware, software and voice/data telecommunications components to ensure high availability.
- Determines staffing requirements, recruits, hires, and trains staff in a manner that encourages and maintains diversity and cultural competence. Establishes work plans and priorities for staff members, assess the progress of staff members and take corrective action as needed. Conducts performance reviews for staff members.
- Prepares enterprise objectives and budgets to facilitate the orderly and efficient capture, storage, processing, and dissemination of information.
- Interacts with managers on internal and external operations that are impacted by the capturing, storing, processing and dissemination of information.
- Oversees the development, design, and implementation of new applications and changes to existing computer systems and software packages.
- Develops and implements timely solutions to support enterprise disaster recovery procedures.
- Establishes and implements short- and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures.
- Networks with industry peers and key individuals in regulatory agencies to anticipate changes to organizational direction and requirements.
- Prioritizes Mary Free Bed System projects and report requests through the Decision Support department.
- Ensures confidentiality and reliability of organization data, proprietary information and intellectual property.
- Negotiates enterprise vendor agreements
- Works collaboratively with clinical and administrative leaders across the health system and network to ensure that IT strategy implemented is heavily aimed at optimizing and supporting clinical care and results for all MFB and MFB network patients and to ensure the financial stability and sustainability of the MFB health system.
- Develops and maintains a Network wide disaster and recovery/business continuity plan.
- Creates empowered frontline leaders and workforce by promoting the mission of the organization and practicing evidence based leadership.
- Provides direction for front-line leaders of department(s) as assigned
- Creates meaningful team and individual goals that relate to the overall objectives of the hospital
- Embodies culture of the organization and promotes strategies to be a top tier employer.
- Leadership must-haves will be followed for patient and staff interactions:
- Thank You Notes
- Employee Selection/Peer Interviewing
- Key Words at Key Times
- AIDET® + Promise
- Standards of Behavior
Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements):
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Data science, Information Systems, Business Administration, Health Information or commensurate/equivalent experience. A Master’s degree is highly desirable.
- Five to seven years of management experience in healthcare IT environment. Previous CIO experience and knowledge or expertise with Epic is preferred. Although strong cross-industry leaders with exceptional experience will be seriously considered.
- Strong data science/analytics experience is essential
- Requires information management and interpersonal skills to communicate, explain, interpret, and present information.
- Knowledge of database applications, software development, network administration, and data warehousing.
- Able to present, showcase and sell Mary Free Bed as a representative of the organization.
- Physical Demands: Able to exert up to 20 pounds of force occasionally (up to 1/3 of the time); to lift, carry, push, pull, up to 20 pounds occasionally; to sit for the majority of the time, but may involve brief periods of time involving walking or standing; to use keyboard frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time).
Mary Free Bed is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or other legally protected characteristic.